January 13, 2013

A James Giles Surprise.

My last 'Giles' piece turned out to be factory decoration, as outlined in my last post.

When I first examined this dish, I thought of it as Bow: the bright colours are typical Bow, the soft paste porcelain full of small flaws, also typical of Bow. However, the shape is not Bow: it was made by Worcester and Caughley, the latter omitting the curious 'snail' moulding near the handle. The dish is therefore Worcester.

While researching the supposed Giles bowl outlined in my last post, I came across a Worcester plate, in the 2008 catalogue & exhibition by Stephen Hanscombe.

There is a difference between the two in the shape, an also our example has a green & yellow edge, while the illustrated has just green: but what caught my eye was the large butterfly: it's identical to our butterfly!

Above: on our dish
Below: the illustrated definitive example of Giles

The form of the bug is the same, the technique also, the main difference being the colours are swapped between the two.

This bug, his body painted in two tones to make him appear iridescent, also appears on other Giles pieces.

The fig & red currents also have direct comparisons amongst confirmed James Giles pieces.
So while I was disappointed with the bowl in my last post, along comes this surprise, a magnificently decorated James Giles Worcester dish of the 1760's!

This item will be part of our upcoming 2013 Catalogue & Exhibition of recent acquisitions.